4 Michigan Cities Named Among Best ‘Lake’ Beach Towns To Live In
Want to live by the beach, but not crazy about living by the ocean?
There are several areas of the United States where you can enjoy beachside living near a lake instead, and it turns out some of the best options are right here in Michigan - including the best one.
WalletHub.com recently ranked America's "Best (Lake) Beach Towns To Live In", and four Michigan cities made the cut.
How the Determinations Were Made
More than 60 individual metrics were evaluated across six different main categories:
- Affordability: things like housing costs, property taxes and the availability of waterfront property
- Weather: things like climate, water temps, and natural disasters
- Safety: things like crime rates and the prevalence of COVID-19
- Economy: things like the unemployment rate, poverty levels, foreclosures and bankruptcies
- Education & Health: things like the quality of local schools and hospitals, as well as air, drinking water and beach water
- Quality of Life: things like commute times and the number and diversity of local businesses and attractions
Nearly 200 lakefront cities across the nation were evaluated, and four Michigan towns landed in the Top 50.
Port Huron, Michigan
Port Huron, Michigan, was recognized as the 44th-best lakefront beach town to live in in the United States. It was buoyed by a Top 10 finish in the weather category. Quality of life in Port Huron and its affordability also rated well.
Holland, Michigan, made the Top 20 overall, coming in at #19. Holland's quality of life ranked #4 on the survey, and the city also boasted Top 20 finishes in the affordability, weather, economy, and education/health categories.
Alpena, Michigan, notched in at #18 overall, largely on the strength of its #1 ranking among all American lakefront towns in the weather category. Alpena also ranked in the Top 10 for overall quality of life.
Traverse City, Michigan
Not only is Traverse City Michigan's top-ranking representative among this survey's "Best (Lake) Beach Towns To Live In", it's #1 overall! WalletHub concluded that no other lakefront beach town in America has a better quality of life than Traverse City. Situated in the northern Lower Peninsula along the shore of Lake Michigan, Traverse City also scored well in the education/health and weather categories.