Report: Damion Terry Recovering from Torn Labrum, Will be Ready for Season
1. According to Spartan Nation, Damion Terry had offseason surgery to repair a torn labrum. It is his non-throwing shoulder, and he is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for the opening game of the season. The football team did not specify when Terry got hurt, but he did leave the spring game after a hard hit by Demetrius Cooper.
2. The curse of the aces continues for the Detroit Tigers. Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander have each won a Cy Young, but they are both pitching at a level well below their standards. Scherzer was coming off of a complete game three-hitter, but previous to that he had given up at least four earned runs in each of his last four starts.
Last night he barely got out of the second inning. Scherzer gave up seven runs in that inning, and threw a walloping 51 pitches. The Royals tagged him for a total of ten runs in four innings, and grabbed an 11-4 victory. Scherzer and Verlander need to pitch like aces in order for Detroit to have a chance to win the central.
3. In order to help out their tired bullpen, the Tigers have made a roster move. Detroit called up right-hander Chad Smith, who has a 1.64 ERA and has struck out 14 batters in 13 innings. The Tigers have not made an announcement about who they will send down to make room for him, but Evan Reed seems like a candidate.
4. It was another exciting day of World Cup action, headlined by Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa. He was fantastic in allowing his team to tie Brazil 0-0. Belgium beat Algeria 2-1, and Russia tied South Korea.
5. Mike Trout is hitting for even more power this season than he has in the first two seasons of his career. Trout clubbed two more home runs last night, his 15th and 16th of the season. His slugging percentage is now .610, up from .557 last year. The Angels won the game 9-3.
Masahiro Tanaka has been a massive boost to the Yankee rotation. He struck out ten batters against the potent Blue Jays lineup last night, and his ERA is now below 2. The Yankees won the game 3-1.