5 Things you Need to Know for Friday, January 31st
1. The Michigan basketball team (16-4, 8-0) keeps rolling. They remained undefeated in Big 10 play last night with a 75-66 win over Purdue (13-8, 3-5). Nik Stauskas continued his excellent play with 16 points. Caris Levert and Derrick Walton Jr. added 14 points a piece for the Wolverines.
They shot the lights out once again. Michigan was 28-46 from the field and hit at least seven threes for the fifth straight game. The Wolverines next play Sunday at Indiana.
2. There are some good high school basketball matchups in the Mid-Michigan area tonight. Our station will broadcast the Holt vs. Eastern game. Other games on the schedule include Grand Ledge at Lansing Sexton, and East Lansing at Jackson.
3. The Michigan State basketball team (19-2, 8-1) will play against Georgetown (11-9, 3-6) tomorrow. The Hoyas are really struggling, losing five straight games. Georgetown has a really good back court at D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera and Markel Starks. Adreian Payne will not play for his seventh straight game, but may return against Penn State next week.
4. The MSU women's team (14-7, 6-2) grabbed a nice home win over Wisconsin (9-11, 2-6), 71-67. Annalise Pickrel led all Spartans with 14 points and eight rebounds.
5. The Red Wings have a home and home with the Washington Capitals this weekend, and they will be without the services Johan Franzen. Franzen went on long-term injured reserve yesterday and will miss the Olympics with concussion-like symptoms. He has played just one game since December 15th.