NBA Votes To Resume The Season In Orlando
The NBA is a step away from resuming the 2020-21 NBA season. All that is left is the Players Association to approve the new format. The NBAPA will have a conference call on Friday to approve.
Here is what we know so far:
SEASON AND PLAYOFFS
- The season will begin on July 31st and end on October 12th.
- 22 teams will play 8 regular season games at Disney World in Orlando, FL to complete the season and round our the playoffs
- The 22 teams will be the 16 teams that would make playoffs if season ended today (8 in East - 8 in West) plus the Wizards, Pelicans, Blazers, Spurs, Kings, and Suns.
- After the conclusion of the regular season, the top-7 seeds will be set. At that point, the 8-seed and 9-seed from each conference will — if the 9-seed is within four games of the 8-seed — play in a heads-up situation for the final spot. The 9-seed will have to beat the 8-seed twice in a row to win; the 8-seed just has to win one game.
PLAYER SAFETY/COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS
- Players, coaches, and staff only-- no fans in attendance.
- No showering at arenas. Players would shower at hotels/resorts on Disney properties.
- Bench players will sit in spread out rows and inactive players would sit in the spectator stands.
- Players can't bring guests until the playoffs.
- Daily testing for the coronavirus on the Disney campus.
- 6/1 TRAINING CAMP BEGINS
- 7/31 RESUME REGULAR SEASON AT DISNEY PROPERTIES
- ** NBA PLAYOFFS START RIGHT AFTER SEASON ENDS-- DATE TBD
- 10/12 LAST POSSIBLE DATE FOR GAME 7 OF NBA FINALS
This is great news and gives sports fans a peak into how this season will look as we resume sports and what the future of the NBA might look like, as well.