5 Things you Need to Know for Wednesday, January 29th
1. The MSU hoops team got a huge, gutty victory over a good Iowa team 71-69 in overtime. Keith Appling led the Spartans with 16 points, and Matt Costello had a breakout game with 11 points and 12 rebounds.
Without the services of Branden Dawson or Adreian Payne, MSU's defense stifled a much bigger Iowa team who leads the league in scoring. The Spartans held Iowa without a field goal for a 14:50 stretch late in the 2nd half and overtime.
Many of the role players stepped up. I mentioned Costello, who played possibly his best game as a Spartan. Russell Byrd drilled a massive three-pointer with 0:33 left to give Michigan State a six-point lead. MSU also had to battle through a 29-19 foul disparity to pick up this huge road win.
2. Many high school basketball games were cancelled last night, but the one we did here on The Game 730 AM was an excellent one. Lansing Catholic beat Waverly 59-56 in overtime. Matthew Fata had 22 points, and Tony Poljan had 17 points and 12 rebounds. Poljan also had a huge block in the final few seconds of the game to seal the victory.
Catholic was 20-22 from the free throw line while Waverly struggled from the stripe. Catholic is only 6-5 on the season, but all of their losses were close ones against good teams. Look for them to be very tough the rest of the season.
3. The Red Wings lost an important game, as they got blown out by the Flyers 5-0. Philadelphia is one of the teams fighting Detroit for the last few playoff spots in the east. To throw salt on the wound, the Wings learned that Johan Franzen will have to go on short-term injured reserve with a concussion relapse.
4. The Pistons snapped a 4-game losing streak with a 103-87 win over the Orlando Magic. Andre Drummond had 13 points and 17 rebounds, and Brandon Jennings led all scorers with 20 points.
5. Michigan kicker Brendan Gibbons has been expelled from the university due to violating the University's "Sexual Student Misconduct Policy". Gibbons is fourth all-time in field goals in Michigan history. Gibbons missed the Ohio State game with what Brady Hoke described as a "muscle problem". He also did not travel to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl due to a "family matter".