5 Things you Need to Know for Tuesday, January 21st
1. The Pistons spent their MLK day getting dunked on. The Clippers threw down 14 dunks on them yesterday in a 112-103 loss. The defense was lacking for Detroit, who were getting beat down the floor in transition and messing up rotations in the half court, which is what lead to so many dunks.
Another note from this game: Brandon Jennings threw up a goose egg and is now shooting under 37% on the year.
2. The Red Wings got beat handily by the St. Louis Blues, 4-1. The score was tied 1-1 at the end of the first period, but the Blues put home a couple of screened-shots from the point early in the second period and never looked back.
More bad news for the Wings: Jimmy Howard re-injured his knee, and is listed as day-to-day. Detroit welcomes Chicago on Wednesday, and they're going to need all hands on deck to try and beat the Blackhawks. Howard had been playing much better lately, and him missing any time would really hurt the Wings.
3. The Michigan State hoops team welcomes in Indiana tonight, and Adreian Payne will likely sit out once again. The Hoosiers had an interesting previous week, beating then #3 Wisconsin but losing on their home floor to 9-10 Northwestern. Indiana has struggled with turnovers this season, ranking 11th in the Big 10 with a -3.2 margin in conference play. They had 15 the last time these two teams met. Yogi Ferrell leads them in scoring with 17.4 points per game, but had a rough 2-14 shooting night against Northwestern.
4. There is a big time matchup in the CAAC Gold tonight as Lansing Waverly hosts Jackson Lumen Christi. Unfortunately, Lumen will be without their best player Khari Willis. Both of these teams are undefeated in conference play, and the winner will likely be viewed as the favorite to win the conference.
5. The Ohio State basketball team continues to slide, losing its fourth straight game last night to Nebraska. Savon Shields and Terran Petteway led Nebraska with 18 points a piece.