5 Things For Thursday March 13: Recapping the boys quarterfinal action
1. All of the local class A and B boys basketball teams have been knocked out of the state tournament, but some of the smaller schools are still fighting to get to the Breslin Center.
Nick Spitzley continued his awesome senior season by leading Pewamo-Westphalia to a come-from-behind victory over Shelby. According to Scott Yoshonis of lsj.com, Spitzley scored seven points in the final 39 seconds to elevate his team to victory. P-W will have a quarterfinals.
Fulton lost to Mount Pleasant Sacred Heart on an incredible buzzer beater. Check out the video of it here.
2. The men's Big Ten basketball tournament tips-off today. There are four games today, and you can check out the bracket here at bigten.org. Michigan will play the winner of the Indiana/Illinois game, and Michigan State will play the winner of Northwestern/Iowa.
3. The Lions made a big splash yesterday, signing former Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Golden Tate to a 5-year, $31 million dollar deal. ESPN's Josina Anderson was the first to report the story. Tate snagged 64 passes for 898 yards in this third season in the NFL. Mlive.com's Kyle Meinke wrote an interesting piece, mentioning that Tate has dropped only five passes since 2011. He will be a welcome addition to a team that led the NFL in drops last season.
I assumed that the Lions would take a WR with their first round pick in May's draft. Now, they have a few different options. Cornerbacks Darqueze Dennard and Justin Gilbert are distinct possibilities, as is Alabama safety Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix. Still, keep an eye on Mike Evans of Texas A&M. Golden Tate can play the slot, which would open up a spot for Evans on the outside and give the Lions one of the most dangerous receiving cores in the league.
4. After getting a win over Sacramento Tuesday, the Pistons got blown-out by the Raptors on Thursday. Josh Smith shot 5-17 from the field, and the team was out-rebounded 54-39. Detroit as now lost 10 straight road games.
5. The Red Wings have been hit by the injury bug once again. This time its Tomas Jurco who will be out of the lineup. Freep.com reports that Jurco will miss 10-14 days after taking a cross-check to the ribs. Ansar Khan of Mlive.com is reporting that Darren Helm and Stephen Weiss still aren't skating yet. Detroit currently sits two points out of the final playoff spot, and they play the Oilers Friday.
Steve Miller is on-air from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. producing ‘Mad Dog in the Morning’ on The Game 730 AM. He also co-hosts Prep Basketball Weekly from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays, and can be heard on high school basketball broadcasts. Follow him on Twitter @SteveMilllerWVFN.
Read More: 5 Things for March 10: MSU’s Offense Stalls in Loss to OSU | http://thegame730am.com/5-things-for-march-10-msus-offense-stalls-in-loss-to-osu/?trackback=tsmclip