5 Things For Thursday Feb. 27; Robinson’s Buzzer Beater Gives Michigan Win over Purdue
1. #16 Michigan was on the ropes last night, trailing Purdue 37-24 at halftime. They were down 63-57 with just over three minutes left in the game. Then, Caris Levert and Glen Robinson III made huge defensive plays that led to points for Michigan, and they tied the game up at 63. Nik Stauskas missed a shot as time expired, and the game headed to overtime.
With Michigan trailing 76-75 in overtime, John Belien took a timeout with 2.3 seconds left and drew up this play to Robinson:
Michigan escaped a winner, and remains alone atop the Big Ten standings with a 12-3 conference record. Robinson had 17 points against his dad's alma mater.
2. The Red Wings are back from the Olympic break, and looked good in beating Montreal 2-1 in overtime. Johan Franzen missed 22 straight games before the break with a concussion, but looked very sharp in his return to the lineup. Franzen had two assists including this beauty (notice that he had to throw an aerial pass to get the puck over the back of the net):
Things got a little dicey when Montreal tied the game 1-1 with 29 seconds to go. The Wings looked like they were going to add to their league-leading total of eight shootout losses. Then, Gustav Nyquist gave the Wings that elusive second point.
3. Girls high school basketball districts continued last night. Grand Ledge beat Holt for the third time this season. Haslett continued their terrific season with a win over Okemos. DeWitt beat Waverly. Here is the Lansing State Journal's wrap up of all the action.
4. The Pistons continued their losing ways, dropping a game at San Antonio 120-110. They have now lost six of their last seven games, and have another likely loss coming Saturday at Houston.
5. The Tigers started their spring training season 1-0 with a 6-5 win over Atlanta. Hernan Perez gave Detroit the go-ahead knock in the 9th inning. Drew Smyly threw the first two innings of the game and gave up one run.
Steve Miller is on-air from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. producing ‘Mad Dog in the Morning’ on The Game 730 AM. He also co-hosts Prep Basketball Weekly from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays, and can be heard on high school basketball broadcasts. Follow him on Twitter @SteveMilllerWVFN.
Read More: 5 Things for Feb 26; Michigan State gives raises to football coaching staff | http://thegame730am.com/5-things-for-feb-26-michigan-state-gives-raises-to-football-coaching-staff/?trackback=tsmclip