5 Things For March 21st; Payne Scores 41 in Win Over Delaware
1. Adreian Payne had a night for the ages against Delaware. He scored 41 points and had 8 rebounds, and was incredibly efficient. Payne was 10-15 from the field, was 4-5 from behind-the-arc, and 17-17 from the free throw line. In that MSUSpartans.com article, Delaware coach Monte Ross said that "He was probably the best big man I have faced in 21 years of college basketball."
Gary Harris, Branden Dawson, and Travis Trice also played very well for the Spartans in their 93-78 win. MSU will face Harvard next, who upset Cincinnati. The Spartans play at 8:40 on Saturday.
2. Michigan's defense shutdown Wofford en route to a 54-40 win. Jordan Morgan had 10 points and 10 boards, and Nik Stauskas led the Wolverines with 15 points. Michigan will play Texas, who won on a buzzer beater against Arizona State late last night:
3. The inaugural Big Ten hockey tournament started with a bang. Both games went to overtime. First, Penn State upset Michigan with a 2-1 win in double overtime. MSU then lost a game in OT to Ohio State. The Spartans finish a disappointing season at 11-18-7.
4. The Red Wings are having a miraculous season. Despite having ten regulars out of the lineup, they pulled off an incredible win over the vaunted Pittsburgh Penguins. With 3:46 remaining and the game tied at four, David Legwand took a major penalty for butt-ending. The Wings withstood an onslaught from the Pens' powerplay at the end of regulation to ensure one point. Then, on a day usually filled with buzzer beaters, the Wings decided to add to the march madness:
5. Pewamo-Westphalia continued their incredible run through the state tournament with a 54-44 win over Muskegon Heights Public School Academy. The Pirates will play Detroit Consortium in the state finals. Consortium was ranked #2 in class C in the final AP boys basketball polls.
Steve Miller is on-air from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. producing ‘Mad Dog in the Morning’ on The Game 730 AM. He also co-hosts Prep Basketball Weekly from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays, and can be heard on high school basketball broadcasts. Follow him on Twitter @SteveMilllerWVFN.
Read More: 5 Things For March 20th; NCAA Tourney Tips-Off Today | http://thegame730am.com/5-things-for-march-20th-ncaa-tourney-tips-off-today/?trackback=tsmclip