5 Things for Feburary 19: Appling Plans to Play against Purdue
1. According to the Detroit Free Press, Keith Appling practiced yesterday and felt much better. The article includes quotes from Appling about how much better he felt, and how he has been treating his injury.
2. In high school hoops last night, Lansing Waverly went on the road and upset the #1 ranked team in Class B Jackson Lumen Christi 54-49. Marcus Moore led Waverly with 16 points, six rebounds, five assists and five steals. Waverly is now tied with Lumen atop the CAAC Gold standings.
East Lansing beat Grand Ledge on the back of 38 Nate Colon points. That sets up a winner-takes-all showdown for the CAAC Blue title Friday between Grand Ledge and Holt. Lansing Catholic beat Haslett, Sexton beat Everett, and Mason beat Eaton Rapids.
3. Olympic hockey resumes today with the quarterfinal round. Sweden beat Slovakia already, and the United States will play the Czech Republic at noon. The Czechs beat Slovakia yesterday.
4. The Pistons got back from the all-star break and continued their poor play, losing at home by 12 points to the Charlotte Bobcats. Josh Smith was 5-17 from the field and the team was just 5-16 from three point range, but on the bright side Andre Drummond had 16 points and 22 rebounds.
5. There were a ton of good college basketball games last night. Duke beat Georgia Tech on the back of 16 points and 11 rebounds from Jabari Parker. #6 San Diego State won, #8 Kansas escaped from Texas Tech, and #9 Villanova beat Providence in double overtime.
Steve Miller is on-air from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. producing ‘Mad Dog in the Morning’ on The Game 730 AM. He also co-hosts Prep Basketball Weekly from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturdays, and can be heard on high school basketball broadcasts. Follow him on Twitter @SteveMilllerWVFN.