5 Things for Thursday, Feb 20: Michigan State vs. Purdue Preview
1. Michigan State plays Purdue tonight in West Lafayette, and according to the Free Press it looks like Keith Appling is going to be ready to go. Purdue is a tough place to play and MSU will be without Branden Dawson, who is from Indiana and always plays like an All-American against the Boilermakers.
Purdue has lost five of their last seven, and they do not have a terribly impressive resume. Their most impressive win of the season may be at 15-11 West Virginia. They have a pretty good front-line; the Boilers are 4th in the Big 10 with a +3.8 rebounding margin, and lead the conference in blocked shots.
2. Only one undefeated team remains in college basketball. 7-19 Boston College pulled a huge upset over #1 Syracuse, beating them 62-59 at the Carrier Dome. Boston College had lost five straight games coming into it.
3. In high school basketball last night, Nick Chase and I saw Fowler win at Bath 60-55. Eagles freshman Jeremy Pung scored 15 points and looked very impressive. In some other games, Holt got blown out by Battle Creek Central, the team they will play in the first game of districts. DeWitt beat Williamston by a crazy margin. Haslett lost an out-of-conference game to Gabriel Richard. In the CMAC, P-W beat Laingsburg 49-20. P-W visits Fulton on Friday, and the winner will take control of the CMAC lead.
4. The United States Men's hockey team looked great once again, as they beat the Czech Republic 5-2. David Backes had a goal, an assist, and played excellent defense with his line-mates Dustin Brown and Ryan Callahan. Those three frustrated the Czech's top line all day. The Americans also won the goaltending battle, as Jonathon Quick greatly outplayed Ondrej Pavelec.
The Americans will play the Canadians on Friday at noon for a chance to go to the gold medal game. Canada's roster is loaded with All-Star talent, but has not looked nearly as dominant as many people expected. Canada only beat Latvia 2-1, despite out-shooting them 57-16.
5. The Pistons continued their putrid ways, losing their second straight game to the Charlotte Bobcats. The trade deadline is at 3 pm today, and no one seems to know if the team will make a move.