5 Things For April 9th; Dodgers Top the Tigers in Extras
1. The Tigers wasted a good starting pitching performance last night. Max Scherzer went seven innings and gave up just two runs, but Detroit's offense was pretty quiet most of the game.
Detroit trailed 2-1 heading into the ninth inning, but a double by Ian Kinsler and a single by Victor Martinez tied the game at two. However, Joba Chamberlain and Phil Coke combined to give up the game winning run in the ninth inning on a ball Raji Davis misplayed:
Torii Hunter left this game with a leg injury. He slid hard into the wall in the second inning.
2. The Red Wings' playoff chances are looking better everyday. The took care of the lowly Buffalo Sabres for the second time in five days, by winning the game 5-2. The Wings need one point in their final three games of the season to clinch a playoff spot. They play Pittsburgh tonight, a team they could possibly match up with in the first round.
3. The Pistons beat the Atlanta Hawks 102-95. Rodney Stuckey led the Pistons with 29 points. Andre Drummond had 19 points and 17 rebounds. Detroit has the eighth-worst record in the league, and with four games left it appears that will likely be where they finish.
4. The Women's NCAA basketball championship featured the two elite programs in the sport. However, UConn was able to reassert their dominance and win Geno Auriemma's ninth championship. It was Notre Dame's only loss of the season.
5. Ryan Braun had been off to a horrible start this season. Coming off a long PED suspension, he started off 3-20 through his first five games. He changed that last night.
Braun went 3-5 and hit three home runs against the Phillies. Watch Braun knock out all of his home runs here: